Before You Apply - Materials
Before you apply, gather these important documents you'll need to complete your application. When you apply online, enter your name exactly as it reads on your passport. Use the same name on all additional documents, including your curriculum vitae.
- 1 digital photo (headshot).
- Passport copies (scanned, not photographed) for yourself, your spouse, and any dependent(s) (unmarried children under the age of 21) who will be accompanying you. We cannot process your application unless all passports are attached.
- CV or resume.
- Research plan (1 page, including topic, research direction, and expected outcome).
- Copy of financial guarantee document. The minimum required amount of support varies depending on your program type and fees. The total funding must cover your program fees, living expenses, and health insurance. VIPP processes either a J-1 or F-1 non-degree student visa for applicants. The type of financial guarantee document you will need depends on your visa type.
- J-1 non-degree student visa: If your study is supported by someone other than yourself (your company, government, or other external agency) and their support is more than 51 percent of your funding, you are eligible for a J-1 non-degree student visa. VIPP will process a DS-2019 form for you and your family. In this case, you will need a letter of financial support from your sponsor. This letter must be in English, printed on the official letterhead of the sponsor, and signed and dated no more than 6 months prior to submission.
- F-1 non-degree student visa: If your study is solely supported by yourself or your family, you are eligible for an F-1 non-degree student visa. VIPP will process the I-20 form for you and your family. You will need to submit your personal bank statement to prove you have enough funding to cover program fees, living expenses, and health insurance. The statement must be in English on the official letterhead, signed, and dated no more than 6 months prior to submission.
- Copy of certificates of graduation from the colleges or universities you have attended at the highest level only.
- Copy of transcripts, only if you apply for college student programs such as GYPP (Global Young Professional Program), SGYPP (Specialized Global Young Professional Program), or Summer School. If possible, please submit copies in English.
- Copy of test scores that demonstrate English proficiency.
- The minimum requirement is TOEFL: 60-78 (internet-based test) or 500-549 (paper-based test), or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) 6.0 with no element below 5.
- If you do not have test scores or you don't meet our minimum requirements, we will conduct an interview by Skype or by telephone.
- A non-refundable application fee of $125. This must be paid before your application can be processed. You can submit payment one of three ways:
- Online by credit or debit card.
- A cashier's check, payable to Michigan State University. Mail the check to the following address:
Visiting International Professional Program
427 N. Shaw Lane, Room 1
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824
- Bank transfer to MSU designated bank account:
Bank Name: Bank of America Bank
Address: 2600 W. Big Beaver Rd., Troy, MI 48084
Account Name: The Board of Trustees/Michigan State University
ABA Routing Number: 026009593
Account Number: 1935-218139
SWIFT Code: BOFAUS3N
CHIPS (Clearing House Interbank Payments System) participation number: 0959
Special notes on the wiring form:
Department: ISP/VIPP - Grace Zulu
VIPP Account Number: DS100201
Sender: Your Name