International Studies & Programs

Home > Current Participants > Forms and Applications > Traveling Outside of the US with Visa

Traveling Outside of the US with Visa

Do you have a plan to travel outside US during your stay? You must get your DS-2019 endorsed by OISS prior to your trip. 

Bring your I-20/DS-2019 to OISS for travel signature. Travel signatures take 24 hours, so plan ahead. Once you obtain the signature, it is valid for 6 months. 

1, You need a valid visa stamp in passport. Check the expiration date. If expired, you must renew at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy. (Please note, if you have been outside of the United States for 5 months or longer and your F-1 or J-1 visa is still valid i.e. unexpired, you may need a NEW visa according to a recent State Department rule. Please check with the nearest U.S. consulate to determine if your visa is still valid for entry to the US.)

2. Valid Passport: Passport must be valid for at least 6 months from the intended date of entry into the U.S. If your passport is valid for less than 6 months, then we recommend that you renew your passport or run the risk of being denied entry into the U.S.

3. Beginning April 30th, 2013 U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) no longer provides paper I-94 cards at the Port of Entry (except in limited circumstances).

4. Important! As a J-1 visa holder, you have one month-long grace period to reside in the US after your program end date. However, if you travel outside US during this grace period you cannot re-enter the U.S. after the travel.